[ckan-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Dec 13 12:04:56 GMT 2010

A big thank-you to everyone who has contributed in this thread. I've
pulled people's thoughts together here:

  <http://ckan.okfnpad.org/meta>

For me the most interesting part of this was hearing what people
thought the purpose of CKAN is -- and should be. Below I've summarized
briefly where I think we stand. I think more ideas on the tagline
would be very welcome (and perhaps a doodle poll ...).

Regards,

Rufus

## The Purpose

Making it easy to get, use, share data (and content) in a *scalable* way.

Scalable (IMO) = decentralized, collaborative, componentized

Features:

* Catalogue - register and find (key metadata such as license and
download urls, rich features such as data previews, related packages,
dependencies)
* More than "metadata" - not just basic info like the license, but
collecting resources/scripts/docs related to the data
* Archiving and storage
* Community - share knowledge and knowhow about datasets (the
wiki-like features)
* Automation - support automation of many activities (notification,
archival, conversion)

## Name and Domain Name

Stick with current setup: Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network
(CKAN) and http://ckan.net/

Reason:
  * Already established
  * Not that bad and some nice connotations to our core constitutency
  * Domain names (and names generally) do not matter too much -- you
can always establish a recognition of that name
  * No clear consensus for an alternative (and would change after
establishing purpose more clearly)

## Tagline

We don't yet have a consensus choice here. Here's are the main options
at the moment. More suggestions? Worth putting up a doodle poll?

"Get, use and share data"
"A data hub - a place to get, use and share [data]"
"The world's knowledge at your fingers"
"A place to find, reuse and share data"

Could replace data with information