[ckan-discuss] Overhauling CKAN documentation: call for participation

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Mon Feb 15 21:49:40 GMT 2010

Dear all,

Rufus, great and important step. Antti thanks for the ideas for screen casts.

I have some experiences producing screen casts on mac. There are a lot of tool out there for all os. I use "screenflow": http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm

I agree with Jonathan that the first and most important thing to start with is a storyboard. At my work we follow these steps to produce a screen cast:

1. first storyboard draft
2. first screen cast
3. revision of storyboard
4. re-editing or second srceen cast

The clearer the initial idea / concept of "what you want to say" the quicker and the better the result.

As a result you would want to have something like this:
"A video with the best quality for the smallest file size"

I would actually volunteer to produce screen casts for ckan, but I would be happy if we first cooperatively produce the storyboard together.

Here is a good starting point: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Screencast
And here is a template for the the storyboard: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/5/5a/Screencast_storyboard.odt

How jumps in? I actually imagine we could also produce screencasts for opendefinition :)

Greetings
Daniel

Technically you would want a result exported in theora, mp4, avi, mov or flv like this:

Codec:			H.264/AAC
Size:			800x600 Pixel
Audio:			22,05	kHz Mono mp3
Frame rate:		25	    fps