[ckan-discuss] ckan i18n - text

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sun Jul 11 01:47:31 BST 2010

On 10 July 2010 15:10, stef <stefan.marsiske at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey,
>
> i am currently in the process of translating the newest changes to ckan. there
> are many references to obscure (for non-geeks at least) freesoftware projects
> like freshmeat, pypi, twiki, cpan, etc. i understand these references, but i
> doubt that our core audience has any clue or is even interested in them, i
> think this makes the whole description less understandable. i will not

I think this is a very valid criticism and would welcome suggested
changes to the text of the about page.

Alternatively, and probably better, would be to get rid of the
standard about page altogether -- this is something individual
instances could provide themselves (especially if using an external
CMS). This about page if it should live anywhere should be in the CKAN
docs rather than integrated into the website.

> translate these into hungarian, i recommend we try to refrain so also in all
> other languages. what do you say?

Unless others disagree I suggest immediate deprecation and removal of
the about page. (Could add a link to front page saying: "Want to know
more about the motivation and history of the CKAN software powering
this site see this documentation page" (but am dubious of the need of
this ...)

What I do think we need is a better introduction/explanation to
initial users of what the CKAN site is about and can be used for ...

Open Knowledge Foundation