[ckan-discuss] NZ CKAN Instance - Ideas

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Jun 15 10:45:59 BST 2010

Glen,

Many thanks for sending this feedback on CKAN as a whole from your
experience in NZ. It is incredibly useful and I think we need to sift
through this carefully. Here's my take - please do feed back and we
can work on some concrete improvements.

Groups - Specifying department and sub-department can easily be
achieved in the 'extra' fields, and that's what we do with other
countries' government data. But it's interesting that you thought the
'groups' option would be way to do this, and suggests to me that we
should do more to expose ways to browse and search by department and
sub-department in the UI.

Theming - We have recently introduced ways to allow CKAN visual
templates to be customisable - see http://wiki.okfn.org/ckan/doc/theme
.

List of new packages / RSS feed - The 'Recently Changed' section on
the home page goes a long way to showing new and recently edited
packages, but we're talking about developing this for the home page
into simple lists of 'new', 'updated' and 'hot' packages. (We have an
Atom feed giving much of this information already, linked from the
'recently changed' page.)

Jargon ('package') - We see a core advantage of CKAN is the concept of
data packaging (the 'Debian of data' concept), so perhaps we need to
explain that. Maybe we should rename from 'Packages' to 'Data
Packages'? Or have a side-bar 'What is a Package of data?' linking to
expanations.

New package form - Yes I agree we can add more explanation text. And
we're talking about having some customisations for different
sorts/sources of data. We have already made it easy for an instance to
heavily customise the form (see http://ca.ckan.net/package/new for
example). But ckan.net being central, it needs to cater for all sorts
of data and help the user. It would be great to have you involved in
designing this going forward.

Link to uses - A package has many associations. Of course plenty can
already be added as resources: mirrors of data, scraped versions,
derived data, SPARQL endpoints added on. You're quite right that a
'use' of the data would be good to link to. Property data aggregation
site is one sort, people are plotting geo data on a map, visualising
in other ways, combining with other datasets, writing news articles
about the data, commenting on the methods etc. The data.gov.uk site is
trying this out with per-package comments and wiki and I don't see
much use of these particular features so far. Indeed their email list
has seemed by far the most effective way to pool interesting and
related information.

Cost of datasets - I'm not sure we've thought much about this - we
seem more focussed on open data. I'm not sure that advertising costs
of data on CKAN will drive them down. In the UK, the meme of Freedom
of Information, lobbying by Tim Berners-Lee and new economists seem to
be the most effective.

Search engine optimisation - excellent - we're keen to improve on
this. I've created a ticket to collect these ideas and get it done:
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/ticket/350

Harvesting other Catalogues - We've worked a great deal on tools to do
this, with the API, getdata scripts, spreadsheet importer, changeset
mechanism etc. Several batches of meta data from other sources have
gone in. Going forward we need to work out metadata to target
importing, how best to synchronise changes and feed back corrections.

Data migration of NZ data - is this all done by Tim McNamara now or do
we need to discuss this more?

David