[ckan-discuss] Enhancing support for Linked Data / Semantic Web

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 17 15:21:57 BST 2010

> Hello CKANists!

Hi Jan!

> I'd like to work on CKAN during my master thesis (CS). While I might still be able to help out on various issues, my main efforts would have to be somehow related with support for Linked Data / Semantic Web.
> Does anybody have any ideas/visions for this beyond the things already done in v0.11?

v1.0 has in fact just been wrapped up -- thought not yet formally announced :)

Some things I can think of that could be worked on:

a) Writing a VOID-oriented custom form for entering VOID ontology type
data to a ckan package -- for docs on custom forms see
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/package_forms.html

b) Writing a script to automatically check all LOD package
(http://ckan.net/group/lod/). This script would, given, a ckan
package:
  1. Check the package had downloadable resources
  2. Check the download link returned rdf data
  3. (extra bonus) Automatically analyze this data to give a summary
of triple number, type, etc (with this data being uploaded back into
ckan package info)

c) Scraping RDFa'd australian data catalogue data so we can add it
into the "semantic" ckan instance at http://world.ckan.net/