[ckan-discuss] [Fwd: Re: API For Package Name]

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Wed Nov 24 13:36:33 GMT 2010

Hi all,

John Bywater wrote:
> I propose we rework the tag completion and slug creation to eliminate
> the unnecessary and incompatible API style that has been introduced.

> Hence:
>
>     /api/model/slug/{string}
>
> and not:
>
>     /api/util/package/create_slug?title={string}

After a quick chat with David, I have adjusted the proposal.

In order to document the sole purpose of the so-called "slug", it seems
to makes good sense instead to use the designation "package name" rather
than "slug". Hence:

Resources: /api/model/package_name/{string}
Methods: GET
Response data formats: Package-Name
Status codes: 200, 500

That does appear to sit better with the current design. Thanks Dave!

It's just a proposal (please do raise objections if you have any).

Best wishes,

John.