[ckan-discuss] Crowd-sourcing dataset leads

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Dec 7 12:00:56 GMT 2011

Yes, we're keen for anyone who comes across open datasets to add them
to thedatahub.org (or the CKAN site for their specific country).
Anything the OKF Community Team can do to support the CKAN & Open Data
community to add datasets and wrangle data is appreciated.

Once a new open dataset is discovered, it should be easy to get it
into CKAN. It really just needs the link and a title to create the
record, and then another CKAN user can come along and fill in the gaps
in time. Wiki 'stubbing' is established practice in Wikipedia.

I'm not convinced the CKAN UI is geared up for quickly adding a
dataset, what with a lengthy process: log-on, create dataset, save
just the title, click edit, add the link and save again. I'm in favour
of cutting the clicks for this in our UI.

Martin also recently suggested having a browser add-on that allows you
to add a link to CKAN in one step. We had one a couple of years ago
but there was not much use I believe.

Anyway, while we sort these technical things out, yes, let's do a
sprint using Mark to add them!

David