[ckan-discuss] energy and climate project

Olav Anders Øvrebø olav.ovrebo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:23:24 GMT 2011

Hi all,
for a recently launched Norwegian web magazine on energy and climate issues
(http://energiogklima.no/) I am researching a possible separate project:
The curating of important data sets/data sources in these sectors.
Informing about data sources is already a category in the magazine (
http://energiogklima.no/datakilder/), but we are considering expanding this
section. It could be developed into a very useful tool for students,
journalists and others.

A few open questions to list members about how best to do this in the
context of the international open data community:

- We would like to collect these data sets on a CKAN instance (i.e
http://no.ckan.net/). How can we avoid duplicating work that has already
been done? Is it now possible to "pull in" data sets from other instances?
I see that http://publicdata.eu/ has a group for environment data for
example.

- Maybe there already are people doing something similar out there, since
energy and climate is such an important sector?

- It would of course also be great to go a step further and offer
visualizations of data (ref. http://energy.publicdata.eu/ee/index.html).
Are there any projects in this area that we perhaps could cooperate with?

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated - we are in an early phase
with this.

All the best,
Olav