[ckan-discuss] Short-link tool

Ross Jones ross.jones at okfn.org
Fri Dec 16 12:23:20 GMT 2011

Hi,

I think I've come across the need for a shortlink tool (like bit.ly or tinyurl - http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1549 ), and rather than partially implement it somewhere I thought it would be a fairly useful tool generally.  I have a specific use-case where CKAN can create a shortlink and then at a later time update the target URI, and generating some analytics from users following the shortlinks - but thought it might be sensible to see if anyone else has any ideas/thoughts to contribute?

One thing I am not clear on, is whether it should be a core component, an extension or a self-hosted tool? We could reuse the cache url on the resources but I wonder whether anyone might find this useful as a general purpose tool.

Any thoughts/ideas gratefully received.

Ross.