[ckan-discuss] Updates to CKAN Quality Assurance Extension

John Glover john.glover at okfn.org
Wed Dec 21 14:42:54 GMT 2011

Hello all,

One of the new additions in the (soon to arrive) CKAN 1.5.1 release is
the ability to schedule tasks/processes to run in the background. This
allows us to update information and perform potentially slow tasks
much more frequently in response to user actions.

One of the first CKAN extensions to make use of this is the QA
extension. We can now calculate the 5 star ratings for dataset
resources as soon as they are added or updated. This is hopefully a
good first step towards users getting quick feedback for some of their
work and keeping QA information up to date. In future we hope to
improve the actual work done by the QA system in order to provide a
more in depth analysis of CKAN resources, and there are also plans to
integrate the QA data with our web user interface.

I have updated our wiki with some information on the updates to the QA
extension and the addition to our domain model. See:
http://wiki.ckan.org/Data_Quality
http://wiki.ckan.org/Domain_Model/Task_Status

Thoughts/comments welcome. This should be going live on thedatahub this week.

Cheers,
John