[ckan-discuss] Editing package relationships (was: Re: [ckan-dev] Package Resources Proposal)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Feb 2 17:40:32 GMT 2011

On 2 February 2011 17:10, Stefano Costa <stefano.costa at okfn.org> wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 02/02/2011 alle 16.54 +0000, Rufus Pollock ha scritto:
>>
>> To give a concrete example: original data is excel and I want to
>> convert to google docs / csv / json / rdf. Definitely agree this very
>> important. In discussions in the past [1] have discucssed the 2
>> alternatives (both of which have happened on CKAN): a) new related
>> package b) new resource in existing package.
>
> I hope not entirely off-topic,
> but how do you create "related" packages in CKAN? Or, more specifically,
> how can you create forks of existing packages for derivatives (and
> possibly mark those as being derivatives)?

Package relationships are completely functional (and have been used
for some time) but we haven't yet implemented editing in the web
interface :) (part of the reason being that most usage of them came
via the API).

An example of them being used: <http://ckan.net/package/rkb-explorer-irit>

For the tickets for the web interface editing:

http://ckan.org/ticket/253 - relationships meta-ticket
http://ckan.org/ticket/256 - edit in the the web interface

One extreme idea: given the CKAN API it is probably possible to knock
up a pure javascript editor for relationships (or a CKAN package) in
about an hour. Might be worth trying ;)