[ckan-discuss] field for data owner?

Olav Anders Øvrebø olav.ovrebo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:03:27 GMT 2011

2011/2/10 William Waites <ww at styx.org>

> * [2011-02-10 13:30:34 +0100] Olav Anders Øvrebø <olav.ovrebo at gmail.com>
> écrit:
>
> ] By the way, the "Author" field is confusing. If I am adding a package
> that
> ] is published by a public sector agency, I don't want to list myself as
> "The
> ] permanent contact name for enquiries about this particular dataset." It
> is
> ] also too much work to research who that contact name may be.
>
> There is also an equivocation on the author of the
> metadata (ckan package) and the author of the dataset.
> Similarly for maintainer.

That's true. This should be sorted out.

> I am not sure I understand what it means to "own"
> data. Maybe it means person-with-right-to-license-
> the-data-any-way-they-please.

I guess that is what I meant by owner. Or "institution" instead of person
(legal person?). When it comes to government data, in most cases (?) the
institution will have this right to license the way they please.

In some cases this means
> the original author, in some cases this right may have
> been sold or delegated or assigned in some way exclusively
> or not, in some cases there may be no such person (e.g.
> wikipedia or ckan metadata).

In those cases the Wikimedia Foundation and the OKF will at least be the
original publishers of the data, or owners who have chosen to "donate" the
data?

olav