[ckan-discuss] Google Public Data

Seb Bacon seb.bacon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 08:58:52 GMT 2011

Hi,

What is the significance of http://www.google.com/publicdata/home to CKAN?

See also http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=144758:

Here's how the tools work: currently, people who search for U.S.
unemployment and population data on Google.com can see relevant
statistics and graphs in their search results. Clicking these graphs
takes the searcher to a page that has larger, interactive graphs that
can be customized and shared. The data in the graphs are based on
datasets from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and from the U.S.
Census Bureau, Population Division.

Google wants to eventually display data from other governmental
agencies, research institutes, and other private organizations as
well. To do so, we want to identify free, authoritative, high-quality
data, irrespective of topic and locale. We are interested in both
aggregated statistics and the underlying raw data from which they were
derived. Other types of structured information like reference lists
and classifications are also of great interest. We will not use any
data that compromises the privacy of individuals or infringes upon any
proprietary rights.

If you are a data publisher, get your data out to a wider audience,
through Google, by telling us about your public data. If you have
other data that you think we should take a look at, just let us know.
Your contribution will help us ensure that we're developing the right
data standards and technology for publishing public statistical data
on a large scale. Working together, we can provide Internet users
better access to public data.

Seb