[ckan-discuss] Building CKAN's user community?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Feb 26 12:44:10 GMT 2011

On 24 February 2011 13:15, Bogomil Shopov <bogomil at efb.bg> wrote:
> On 02/24/2011 02:50 PM, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>> On 22 February 2011 21:28, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>> Great to start this thread Jonathan. IMO the key things are:
>>
>> 1. Community evangelism -- talking specific people about CKAN and the
>> wider vision about getting, using and sharing data.
>> 2. Providing some structure around the development CKAN the software
>> 3. Structure/community practices around CKAN.net - the network of CKAN sites
> Hey All,
> I think we need to do some steps before that:
> 0. Describe the mission of the community
>  --- Objective, Goals and success criteria

Very good point. We talked quite a bit in the Autumn about the purpose
of ckan.net and the ckan software. I've converted the etherpad to a
wiki page (please add/amend/discuss either here or on the wiki):

<http://wiki.ckan.net/Purpose>

> 1.Plan the community
>  --- Create implementation plan Internal (strengthen the existing
> community) and external (how to get more people to the community)

+1. One thing I've started organizing (following a suggestion by
Richard Cyganiak and discussion last Autumn) is the establishment of a
project steering committee. I've just put a page on the wiki about
this: <http://wiki.ckan.net/Project_Steering_Committee>

> 2. Think about some kind of governance

Yes. I think we want to keep things clear, simple and lightweight, at
least at the start.

> Here is a sample plan I made for another organisation:
> http://www.bogomil.info/sumo.html

Wow, that's really good. Both this and your previous points are all really good.

I'm wondering: would you be up for helping us prepare such a plan?

Rufus