[ckan-discuss] Tabular data formats

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sun Oct 9 15:02:05 BST 2011

As part of recent work on the Data Explorer
<http://wiki.ckan.org/DataExplorer> I've been looking into formats /
schemas for tabular data and have just posted this info on the wiki:

<http://wiki.ckan.org/Data_Formats#Formats_-_Tabular>

As you'll see the list is quite short and I'd love to hear more / get
links etc from people who know more than I (as one example, I hear
very positive things about R and its data frames but have not yet
tracked down a really good overview of interface of how its designed).

Background: it would be useful to give a bit of background to my
motivation for looking at this. The primary reason is that we want to
define a lightweight intermediate format for DataExplorer into which
one can convert incoming data coming from different sources (e.g.
Webstore, Google docs, OData etc) before exporting to formats needed
for the display widgets (such as SlickGrid, flot, d3 etc).