[ckan-discuss] Tabular data formats

William Waites ww at styx.org
Sun Oct 9 15:23:03 BST 2011

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 15:02:05 +0100, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> said:

    rufus> As you'll see the list is quite short and I'd love to hear
    rufus> more / get links etc from people who know more than I (as
    rufus> one example, I hear very positive things about R and its
    rufus> data frames but have not yet tracked down a really good
    rufus> overview of interface of how its designed).

You might also mention NetCDF:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/

    NetCDF is a set of software libraries and self-describing,
    machine-independent data formats that support the creation,
    access, and sharing of array-oriented scientific data.

It's a binary format and is heavily used for e.g. timeseries empirical
measurements (found in the wild during the climate data debacle
amongst others).

-w