[ckan-discuss] Question regarding CKAN and red hat

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Oct 19 17:33:28 BST 2011

2011/10/19 Martin Kaltenböck <m.kaltenboeck at semantic-web.at>

> Hi all,
>
> we are discussing the set up of a CKAN instance here in Vienna and found in
> documentation / wiki
> that CKAN has to run in: Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 LTS (either 32 or 64bit for
> x86)
> - is there any possibility and/or experience to run CKAN also in a red hat
> environment?

Martin,

Great to hear about the Vienna CKAN instance - shouldn't be a problem.

The docs
http://readthedocs.org/docs/ckan/en/latest/install-from-package.html say:
"Package install requires you to use Ubuntu 10.04"
"We recommend you use package installation unless you are a core CKAN
developer or have no access to Ubuntu 10.04 through any of the methods
above, in which case, you should use *Option 2: Install from
Source*<http://readthedocs.org/docs/ckan/en/latest/install-from-source.html>
."

So I suggest you use option 2, but you may run into problems with the
versions of packages in Red Hat. I believe people have tried this with
success (as they have with several distros). If you hit any problems, try us
all on the ckan-dev list.

David