[ckan-discuss] CKAN activity

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon Oct 31 12:29:12 GMT 2011

Here's the latest CKAN news from the past couple of weeks:

   - OGD Camp in Warsaw - it was great to meet face-to-face with lots of
   our partners and friends in the open data ecosystem last week. Exciting too
   to meet new faces at the CKAN workshops. We heard lots of really positive
   mentions, encouragement and challenges. Blog post:
   http://ckan.org/2011/10/28/warsaw-and-the-odgcamp-ckan-presentation/

   - Now we have upped the translations of the CKAN UI, David Read has been
   getting browser language detection working and the language switcher
   working more reliably. To try language detection, clear your current
   language setting by deleting your CKAN cookie and browser cache and then
   going to http://thedatahub.org/.

   - Drupal integration continues to be a hot topic with various parties
   getting setup. The 'loose-coupling' method rounded on at the open Skype
   meeting last month continues to progress.

   - More info about CKAN in general has been posted to ckan.org by Ira.
   Read about some of key features: http://ckan.org/features/ and a couple
   of key examples of CKAN in use: http://ckan.org/case-studies/

   - The Archiver extension is being quickly developed by David Raznick.
   Now when you add any CSV link to thedatahub.org, a background process
   will download the CSV data into the Webstore. So when we now just need to
   expose in the web page a button to preview, download it multiple formats
   and access a nice API to it. We also want to add a progress bar for the
   download and report errors in the CSV file. Any more ideas and help, do let
   us know at ckan-discuss.

   - We're having a Webstore meeting on Skype this Thursday, as we look at
   merging in features from some similar open source projects. Join in if
   interested or want to contribute to this open source data store.
   http://ckan.okfnpad.org/webstore-meetup

   - New developer Ian Murray starts in the team today, with another couple
   of developers being interviewed in the next week. We're always on the
   look-out for talent: http://okfn.org/jobs/

   - Ira has mocked up an improved workflow for adding a dataset and is
   looking for feedback - look out for it on the blog this week.

   - A bulk upload facility for IATI spreadsheets of dataset metadata is
   being perfected by Adria. See the extension:
   https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanextiati branch spreadsheet-

   - A big discussion is going on amongst the dev team about how to express
   dataset groups/publishers and the permissions. It's basically it's a choice
   between a simple/easy model like Github, where every dataset has an owner,
   or something more flexible like unix file permissions. Modelling, use cases
   and discussion is going on here: http://wiki.ckan.org/Groups_Refactor
   - One of our Amazon EC2 servers had catastrophic hardware failure(!)
   taking with it serveral community CKAN sites. Nils and Friedrich restored
   them on new infrastructure, with the larger sites no.ckan.net br.ckan.net
   ca.ckan.net etc. are now running on the latest CKAN release and much
   faster too! The smaller ones are looking to be integrated into
   thedatahub.org

   - Integration of PyCSW into CKAN - discussions of how to do this have
   been moving forward, with Tom Kralidis chatting with Adria on the CKAN
   team's IRC channel (irc.freenode.net #ckan)

   - A big milestone: CKAN 1.5 is looking ready to release this week and
   James will also have it ready as an Ubuntu package for easy install.