[ckan-discuss] Package Relationships - remove?

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Fri Sep 2 19:58:06 BST 2011

On 2 Sep 2011, at 19:16, David Raznick wrote:
>> For the first point we improvised "links:" in the extra fields.
>
> I really like this improvisation and think we should adopt it.  So for anything in the extras that has links:pacakge-name should become a clickable link.

That would be great.

> I would also be happy to extend it to "derives:package-name".  This is the primary way links are done at the moment, so it would make sense to go with it.  We could also work out in the database reverse relationships when the convention is followed.

There's also the “package:xxx” microsyntax that can be used in the description field to create a link to another package.

A minimalist approach might be this: Taking a cue from MediaWiki, there could be a link labelled “Related packages” somewhere on the package page. Clicking it takes us to a new page (or AJAX-expands a new section) where we see a list of all packages that point to this one, using the links:xxx extra field or the package:xxx microsyntax.

Best,
Richard