[ckan-discuss] Open data teach in in Brussels?

stef stefan.marsiske at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:56:48 BST 2011

hey,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 09:13:43AM +0200, Erik Wesselius wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your help. I think the dataset
> http://parltrack.euwiki.org/dumps/ is exactly what more-onion is
> looking for and I have forwarded the information to Florian.

great. altough we don't provide csv/spreadsheet formated dumps yet, we have
started investigating this.

btw have you looked into the apps themselves? http://www.parltrack.euwiki.org
and http://memopol2.lqdn.fr

> Quite exciting that this information is available as open data!

there's quite a lot actually:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Parliamentary_informatics
http://ckan.net/dataset?q=european+parliament

> I think that many many people and public interest groups working on EU
> issues would find this extremely useful.

infact we are doing this for public interests groups, we're working with
laquadrature du net, EFF and EDRi on these topics, other digital rights
and journalist organizations might be also infected. ;)

> Which makes me think that it might be a good idea to organise an open-data
> "teach in" in Brussels for public interest groups working on EU issues.

indeed. we do engage in these things. in october there'll be a hacks for
transparency in the EP organized by N-squared.

http://www.euhackathon.eu/

where the european parliament free software user group is having a side event
on exactly some tools we have for disinfecting eu politics. ;)

> Let's start thinking about this :-)

pls consider either the week of the ep hackaton for such events, i'm anyway in
bxl then. or we should make up some other date so we can start working towards
that.

> Kind greetings on what may prove to be a crucial day for Europe and the euro,

i guess the "crucial day for the euro" is unrelated to the parl-data we scrape,
right?

--
gpg: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
gpg fp: F617 AC77 6E86 5830 08B8  BB96 E7A4 C6CF A84A 7140