[ckan-discuss] WG: CSW harvesting with ckan?

Adrià Mercader amercadero at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 15:38:05 BST 2012

Hi Markus,

On 7 June 2012 13:29, Besenfelder, Markus
<markus.besenfelder at gv.hamburg.de> wrote:
> I’m new to the list and actually also to the topic of opendata-portals and
> ckan. So please excuse if I didn’t get things right already…
No problem at all, please ask any doubt you may have to the list!

Unfortunately the documentation about the CSW support is a little bit
sketchy, here are some answers:

> Is there an opportunity within ckan to harvest CSW-records from
> geo-metadatacatalogues?
Yes. This is done via two extensions: ckanext-harvest [1], which
offers a generic framework for building harvesters for CKAN,
ckanext-inspire [2], which implements harvesters for CSW servers and
ckanext-csw [3], which is required by the previous one and offers a
basic CSW interface (more on this later).

The ckanext-inspire harvesters support importing records from remote
CSW servers that use the ISO-19139 encoding. All this functionality
was developed in the context of the UK Location project, so the
harvesters are optimized to parse documents with the metadata profile
used by UKLP (GEMINI2). They have not been tested extensively with
generic ISO-19139 but they should be able to work fine with them.

You will need to add the following line to your ini file to avoid
using the gemini2 validator:

ckan.inspire.validator.profiles = iso19139

> Is it planned to be implemented or is there just the
> ability of ckan to serve its own metadata as CSW?
As I mentioned, ckanext-csw offers a basic CSW interface (check the
README on how to enable the cswserver plugin). It supports only a
subset of the CSW standard but it should suffice for basic use cases.
We are discussing offering a full CSW interface via pycsw [4], but it
is in a very initial stage.

> In case of ckan can’t harvest, is it possible to import manually records in CSW or
> ISO19139-format?
It can harvest CSW servers (gemini_harvester plugin), as mentioned
before, but also individual ISO-19193 documents available online or
Web Accessible Folders of them (gemini_doc_harvester and
gemini_waf_harvester plugins)

> Is this functionality available in the core-package (couldn’t find it..) or is it part of the geospatial extension?
See the three extensions mentioned before

I hope this gets you on the right track. Feel free to ask any more
doubts that you may have.

Cheers,

Adrià

[1] https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-harvest