[ckan-discuss] CKAN install from source error on step 6

Greg Linch greglinch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 21:43:29 BST 2012

Hello,

I'm new to using CKAN and have been pleased to see the list is active!

During a CKAN local install from
source<http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-source.html>on
Ubuntu 12.04, specifically on the Create
Database Tables<http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-source.html#create-database-tables>command
(step 6):

paster --plugin=ckan db init

Entering that commands returns this error (full
traceback<http://snipt.org/vGaj3>):

ImportError: No module named sqlalchemy

Adding a print sys.path to one of the files it hits shows that paster seems
to somehow be knocking sqlalchemy off the Python path, despite it being
there for the virtualenv where I've set up CKAN. sqlachemy also appears on
the path when I run sys.path in the Python interpreter in the virtualenv.

Anyone have this problem before and know a good solution?

Thanks!
Greg