[okfn-discuss] video metadata and open license stance

Saul Albert saul at theps.net
Sat Oct 21 08:44:08 BST 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 10:38:04AM -0400, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > I understand your trepidation at thrusting a powerful tool (like
> > copyleft metadata) into the hands of any old shmo who blunders into your
> > software...
>
> Perhaps I wasn't making my position clear.
>
> I have no trepidation in giving people access to the machinery of
> copyleft metadata. I would love to see video software with a "select
> license" box in the save dialog box with a list of licensing options
> that includes copyleft licensing. I think this would be a very good
> thing.
>
> First and foremost, my concern is with making the license field
> *mandatory* because I believe that people will end up selecting a
> necessarily status quo default.

It was clear. *mandatory* = 'thrusting'.

> I believe that if education happens through a mandatory field in save
> dialog box, people will tend to make uninformed decisions.
>
> > Software publishes foist all kinds of ridiculous agreements on their
> > users, many of which put them into untenable and unenforceable
> > positions, and nearly everyone just clicks 'OK'. I don't think
> > commercial vendors respect the status quo in this context, or what
> > would be the need for all that legalese gibberish?
>
> I don't understand what you are trying to demonstrate with this
> example. The behavior of most publishers has created the problems
> we're trying to solve. Are you suggesting that we should emulate their
> mistakes?

I was trying to demonstrate that people are used to these kinds of legal
modifiers prior to their use of a software tool - which is currently a
'burnt field' in terms of communication and education.  However, it is
an open channel of communication nonetheless. Whether that kind of
click-through licensing is used as a sneaky and counterproductive land
grab by copyleft zealots (equal and opposite to the behaviour or Nasty
Publishers), or recuperated as an educational opportunity depends on
the imagination and integrity of the people writing the software.

It seems worth doing *something* to me.

--
The People Speak   | 17-25 Cremer St.  London E2 8HD | http://theps.net
studio +44 (0)20 76133001 | saul: +44 (0)7941 255210 | ms at theps.net