[okfn-discuss] Re: open knowledge event

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Sep 21 10:50:42 BST 2006

Saul Albert wrote:
> hi Rufus,
>
> We have had a *long* overdue limehouse town hall meeting, and lots has
> happened while I've been away.
>
> Our event list has been radically reduced due to issues with the
> consortium (of which we're a part) that runs the building going mental.
> However, we can still do non-public events (100% pre-registration), as
> long as we have some notice. I also managed to get the calendar and
> wiki back up so we seem to be able to co-ordinate things again.
>
> The dates that are available at the moment are:
>
> The last 2 weekends in October, or the 1st, 3rd and 4th weekends in
> November.

OK. My feeling is that for the full one day open knowledge event it
would now be better to wait until next spring (when the days are longer,
the trees are in bud etc etc). Is it feasible to book an event at
Limehouse for next March/April? If so I think that is what we should do.

Then instead of the big event this autumn we should do another open
knowledge forum evening on civic information. Since this is smaller and
only ~2 hrs long I think it will be feasible to get some
central-londonish space for this.

> The rent has also doubled, so now we have to charge even for 'free'
> events. The rate we've calculated is realistic is 500/day including use
> of projectors, screens etc. but I assume this is unrealistic for okf.
> Presented as an event that a group I'm involved with is running, I can
> wrangle it down, but the imperative to get some dosh in is still there.
 >
> What can we pay? I can put in 50 quid myself, and reckon that if we can
> gather 200 squids between us, that will probably be ok.

I would really like to give as much as possible to limehouse since it is
such fantastic place. If we were to have a small charge say of 5 or 10
pounds (we which we could make optional for those who found it
objectionable) then we would be able to pay a full five hundred for the
day. Even if we don't charge for the event I think as you say that we
can probably find at least 250 (if not a little more say 300-400) so
whatever happens I think we will be able to fund it.

> I hope this sounds ok to you, sorry for the totally fucked up response
> time, but Limehouse has been a world of pain in the last few months.

No problem. Thanks for getting all this info. Let me know what you think
re. the above.

~rufus