[okfn-discuss] Form Emails to Enquire About the Status of a Work

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Sep 26 12:01:14 UTC 2006

Dear All,

Following a discussion yesterday on geo-discuss I've been thinking about
creating some email templates for enquiries regarding the status (open
or not) of work found on the web. Below's a first stab. Comments and
corrections are welcome.

Also posted at: http://okd.okfn.org/resources/

== Form Emails to Enquire About the Status of a Work ==

Email templates for enquiries regarding the status (open or not) of work
found on the internet.

Word-wrapped at column 72 for convenience.

=== Looks Like it is Supposed to be Open ===

{{{
Hi,

I came across your site and the work available there[1]. What you've got
looks great and from appearances it seems that the material is intended
to be 'open'[2]. However I couldn't see an explicit statement of this
fact such as a reference to an open knowledge license[3] so I'm writing
to find out what the exact situation is, specifically to ask you whether
the material is being made available under an open knowledge license of
some kind[3].

Regards,

[[INSERT NAME HERE]]

[1]: [[INSERT LINK HERE]]
[2]: http://okd.okfn.org/1.0/
[3]: http://okd.okfn.org/licenses/
}}}

=== Doesn't Appear To Have Thought About It ===

{{{
Hi,

I came across your site and the work available there[1]. What you've got
looks great and I'd be interested in using it so I wondered whether it
is 'open knowledge' in the sense that it can be used, reused and
redistributed freely[2]. If it is intended to be open that's fantastic
and you might want to consider explicitly licensing your material using
an open knowledge license[3].  If it isn't intended to be open I quite
understand. In either case I look forward to hearing what the situation
is.

Regards,

[[INSERT NAME HERE]]

[1]: [[INSERT LINK HERE]]