[okfn-discuss] Open knowledge web buttons

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jan 18 10:03:11 UTC 2007

I've been thinking for a while that it would be nice to make some web
buttons for open data/knowledge which people could stick on their
website (by web buttons I mean those nice little 80x15 pixel rectangle
that you see reading Any Browser, or RSS or XHTML. To get an idea of
what I mean see the very bottom of http://plone.org/). This would be a
nice way to promote awareness of the issues in general and the open
knowledge/data definition (http://okd.okfn.org/).

As I'm no expert in graphic design I chatted with a friend who told me:

 > Two very good, free pixel fonts are Silkscreen and Unibody:
 >
 > Unibody:
 >http://www.underware.nl/site2/index.php3?id1=unibody&id2=overview
 > Silkscreen: http://www.kottke.org/plus/type/silkscreen/
 >
 > The latter is probably more suitable for those 80x15 buttons. The
 > standard thing with which to do them is 6px Silkscreen, as it happens.

He also pointed me at:

http://www.kalsey.com/tools/buttonmaker/

So i wanted to ask:

a) what kind of text should we have, "OPEN DATA", "OPEN KNOWLEDGE",
"OPEN CONTENT" all seem reasonable.

b) should we put a logo of some kind in there? I was thinking that using
something similar to the existing OKF logo but with OKD or ODD (open
knowledge definition or open data definition) might make sense.

c) anyone a dab hand with inkscape/gimp (or photoshop for that matter)
who'd want to take a stab at cooking these up.