[okfn-discuss] Re: Open Library project and versioning structured data

Nate Olson nate at pjsp.org
Thu Jul 26 13:58:06 BST 2007

Dear Rufus,

I'm very glad to see you're actively pursuing a relationship with
these folks. I had heard about Open Library once or twice over the
last few months, and the connections with OKF were clear enough then.
But now that I understand a bit more about the Open Library
architecture (ie, the points you highlight here), the possibilities
for collaboration on some level seem pretty intriguing. So yes, do
keep us updated! Meantime, I'm going to read up a bit more on vdm...

Nate

On 26 Jul 07, at 6.00 AM, okfn-discuss-request at lists.okfn.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:39:06 +0100
> From: Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>
> Subject: [okfn-discuss] Open Library project and versioning structured
> 	data
>
> Open Library recently (beta) launched:
>
>    http://www.openlibrary.org/
>    http://demo.openlibrary.org/
>
> It aim to provide, well, an open library which in this case means a
> catalogue plus links to texts (scanned, on gutenberg, on amazon
> etc ...).
>
> The project is being produced under the aegis of Brewster Kahle's Open
> Content Alliance and the code part is being developed by Aaron
> Schwartz.
>
> What's interesting is that, just like us, they want to be able to
> version data in a 'wiki' like manner (they also want all their data to
> be open). To this end, it appears they have been modding Schwartz's
> infogami wiki software to support structured data. Since we've already
> been working on this in developing versioned domain model (and
> ckan.net)
> I wrote to them to see what possibilities for collaboration their
> might
> be (see below). I'll keep people posted on how this develops.
>
> ~rufus
[snip]