[okfn-discuss] Open vs free/libre

Jonathan jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sun Sep 23 13:54:41 UTC 2007

Thanks for your article, Kim - and everyone else for your interesting
about.

My initial reaction to your main request - to adopt the word 'libre'
instead of 'open' wherever possible - is that it would be a bit of a
logistical nightmare for us!

In the first instance I am inclined to wonder about what would be gained
from a name change relative to the costs involved (time/effort, money to
re-register domains, publicising the change, etc.) rather than
considering in the abstract which term is most appropriate, or has the
most desirable connotations or is most likely to ensure the best outcome
in the long term. This is mostly because the OKF has modest resources
and currently has many things on its plate and in the pipeline -
certainly not because I don't think the semantic questions you raise
aren't important.

I was gladdened to read how much everyone seems to be in agreement over
what it is essential that others can do with free/libre/open material,
and which licenses should be called free/libre/open [1]. Its good to
hear of your Libre knowledge initiative - and I hope that there are
things that we'll be able to work together on!

Regarding your comments about the roots of 'open' (in the sense of
access, re-use and redistribution rights) in the rejection of the
"ethical foundations of free software" - while this may account for the
origin of open source, I don't think it is the case that every use of
the word 'open' constitutes an active rejection of FSF values. My guess
is that many people who are working on, e.g., new licensing policies for
educational repositories are unaware of the historical events that you
and others allude to. Hence we must be careful not to commit some form
of the genetic fallacy in imagining them to be using 'open' in exactly
the same sense and with the same intentions as those that rejected free
software values.

Regarding the 'threats' and 'dangers' you mention of using 'open' rather
than 'free'/'libre' - I think that many of the specific things you
mention are addressed in our projects, in our literature and in our
discussions. I hope sections 4. and 8. of our Open Knowledge Definition
[2] address your concerns that we might call 'open' material that is
restricted by DRM software or that disallows commercial usage. It would
be great if you could advise us on other specific things which we should
be clearer about!

Regarding the 'ethics' and 'values' that you mention - I am still left
wondering precisely what these are and how we might demonstrate our
endorsement. I agree with many of the points in your Libre manifesto [3]
(valuing people and a spirit of collaboration, respecting diversity of
opinion, etc.). However I also agree with Rufus that works should be
licensed on a case-by-case basis rather than assuming one type of
license should be used in all situations. As he says I would be very
surprised (but pleased) if it turned out that promoting free/libre/open
licenses was a panacea. I would be interested to hear more about what
values you think the OKF should show support for and how - if the
pan-free/libre/open licensing interpretation is a mis-understanding.

I do agree with you that 'open' does not convey freedom as much as
'freedom' or 'libre' do. But, of course, all these words elicit
metaphorical associations and require an extra level of explanation in
order to be understood in the case of either software or knowledge.
Given that the explanations furnished in Libre Knowledge, Freedom
Defined and the Open Knowledge Definition are substantially similar - I
hope that we can work towards the same goals without the OKF having to
change its name! Words do change and acquire new/different meanings
through use and I suspect that 'open' is no longer entirely parasitic on
'free' in the context of software, or in the emerging context of knowledge.

It would be good to hear what others think about this...

Regards,

Jonathan

[1] See, e.g. our licenses page,
[2] http://www.opendefinition.org/1.0/