[okfn-discuss] Major Upgrade of CKAN: Help Needed

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Oct 22 16:07:01 BST 2008

Over the last few months we've been working on a major upgrade of the
CKAN codebase (v0.7). Much of this work has been 'internal':
converting CKAN to use SQLAlchemy and the latest, and much improved,
versioned domain model (vdm v0.3). This work is important because it
will result in major performance improvements and allow us to
implement various features which were prevented by the previous
performance problems.

We've now completed the coding work and upgraded the ckan.net service
to use it. This has involved migrating all of our existing data (v0.6)
to a new and very different database structure (v0.7). As usual, we've
done plenty of testing. However, with this kind of major change, which
involves data migration, it is always hard to guarantee nothing is
wrong and so doing some 'testing by eye' would be really valuable.

So,  if you have a spare moment, head over to:

  <http://www.ckan.net>

And have a play around. For example look up a package and:

  * Check it has still got some info (that way we know data migration
has (mostly) worked)
  * Add to it/tidy it up (if it needs it) -- many packages could do
with more tags, download urls etc (this way we know that CKAN itself
is working ...)

Any problems just send an email (either here or to me directly).