[okfn-discuss] tracking members, subscriptions, volunteers and CiviCRM

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Aug 5 12:58:28 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM, James Casbon<casbon at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/17 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
>> Just to pick up this thread - I wonder whether CiviCRM could be used
>> to track project and working group membership? At a glance it looks
>> like the 'groups' feature could do this.
>>
>> It would be a nice way of having a pubilc profile for all of those
>> interested in the OKF - showing which kinds of projects/areas they are
>> interested in. Can't figure out from the demo the extent to which
>> users can view other users (publicly viewable) details? Does anyone
>> know?
>
> I think this is set up via profiles feature which allows you choose a
> small subset of the data to be publicly accessible.  Combined with the
> groups and custom data, that should do it:
> http://wiki.civicrm.org/confluence/display/CRMDOC/Profiles+Admin
>
> I really need to get an install up and going so we can test drive it.

This would be really interesting. I think having 'profile pages' for
those involved in the OKF could be a great way of helping to make it
more visible who is doing what, who is interested in what, and so on!

Does anyone know of any other software packages that might be good at
doing this? It would be nice to have something relatively lightweight.

Perhaps we could even start doing this on the wiki. What do people think?

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation