[okfn-discuss] Call for Proposals: Hack the City

Kat Braybrooke kat.braybrooke at okfn.org
Mon Dec 5 21:33:02 UTC 2011

*in case anyone's interested, this looks like a good opportunity.*

*- Kat
*

*------------------------------------
*

*HACK THE CITY*

*22:06:12 – 07:09:12*

*Science Gallery at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland is seeking proposals
for an upcoming major exhibition HACK THE CITY *

*Call Opens: Monday 5th December*

*Call Closes: Friday 20th  January*

*Exhibition duration: 22 June 2012 – 07 September 2012*

*See: **http://www.sciencegallery.com/hackthecity*<http://www.sciencegallery.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2512&qid=1885271>
* *

*_____________________________________________________________*

Calling all hackers, makers, doers, data nerds, hobbyists, artists, citizen
scientists, tech geeks, activists, edgy engineers and DIY urban planners.

Science Gallery is seeking proposals for its 2012 flagship exhibition HACK
THE CITY launching in June 2012.

Currently more than half of the world’s population lives in towns and
cities. This trend is expected to continue. Between 2025-2030 of the
approximate 8 billion people who will live in the world 5 billion will live
in cities. Yet the majority of our city infrastructures are based on
inherited historical layouts and systems.

Science Gallery’s 2012 flagship exhibition and festival HACK THE CITY will
rethink our cities from the ground up through the spirit and philosophy of
the hacker ethos - to bend, mash-up, tweak and cannibalise our city
systems, to create possibilities, illustrate visionary thinking and
demonstrate real-world examples for sustainable urban futures. It will
capitalize on Dublin city’s history, legacy, population and infrastructure,
transforming the city itself into a nimble “playground” and live urban hack
lab.

The exhibition and events will explore hacking for good – the repurposing
of useful resources, the innovators who customise existing tools for new
uses and who purposefully challenge existing hierarchies. What creative
ways can we release untapped resources, harnessing what maybe considered as
by-products or waste, to create alternative systems for public good?

HACK THE CITY is Science Gallery’s major international exhibition and
festival for 2012 and a flagship programme of Dublin City of Science. We
are interested in receiving proposals for experiments, exhibits and events,
which go beyond Science Gallery in to the city of Dublin and even connect
multiple cities globally. Potential venue partnerships include The Ark,
Temple Bar, Dublin and international partnerships with ZER01 in San Jose,
California.

Working with our international partners and local councils we will be
creating city zones, which will test potential new technologies, creating
situations for energy visualization, play, social networking and
communications.

As a centrepiece in Dublin’s tenure as European City of Science 2012, we
are especially interested in submissions which utilise Dublin’s position,
geography and demographic – as the capital of a small island, on the
periphery of Europe, struggling to recover from a post-economic boom and
the European home for a number of key multinational tech companies (IBM,
Google, Facebook), innovators and entrepreneurs. Drawing on this vibrant
community we encourage novel approaches to social and commercial ideas,
which can be piloted and prototyped during HACK THE CITY.

The exhibition will include existing and proposed works, innovations and
inventions around the theme of HACK THE CITY. The exhibition will extend
beyond the gallery through workshops, labs, events and off-site projects
with Science Gallery becoming a hub connecting difference city zones to
mobile and online worlds.

Alongside artworks, designed objects and documentary artefacts, HACK THE
CITY will encourage thinking differently about how we set up new business
products and services, which address our urban demands, plus include
special live performances, innovative installations, unique physical and
mental experiences, high-profile talks, discussions and debates,
web-focused interactions, games and collaborative experiences.

We are seeking proposals for:

   - Installations
   - Mass-participation experiments
   - Events
   - Performances
   - New products/services/start-ups
   - Workshops
   - Apps
   - Visualizations, maps and mashups

Please feel free to forward this e-mail and link to other forums and

individuals and do please contact us at

teresa.dillon at sciencegallery.com if you would like to suggest projects or
people for the exhibition.

Funding

We welcome projects that come with external funding. The maximum amount of
budgetary support available for each approved application is €5,000. Each
project must be delivered within this maximum production budget, which
should include all fees, materials, shipping and travel costs as well as
any other cost that may arise from participation in Hack the City. Please
note that the production budget available for event-based proposals is
significantly less and support will be given on a case-by-case basis.

@kat_braybrooke <http://twitter.com/kat_braybrooke>