[okfn-discuss] OKFN-meetup / travellers list/service/dashboard idea

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Fri Jul 15 14:33:44 BST 2011

A slightly off-the-wall idea, but I would appreciate the list's input:

I regularly am contacted by people saying, "I am going to be in such
and such a city on such and such a date, can you put me in touch with
anyone there I can talk to?". I think it is quite important that the
OKF support a mechanism for supporting independent meetups of
like-minded people.

Ideally, we will have the dashboard with the map of members up and
running soon, so it will become very easy to see who is where (and
ideally, people will be contactable through it).

But I wondered about possibly having a specific mailing list /
mechanism on the site for things like this (e.g.
OKFN-meetups-worldwide (ww) , so that people could announce their
intention to start something in their area and measure interest for
e.g. setting up a mailing list for a given area..., or people who are
travelling can ask who is in the area and keen to meet up)

Maybe mailing list is the wrong way to do it, but perhaps we could
build some kind of function to place planned meetings / "would like to
meet people in such and such an area" on our members map as an
additional function (don't know how easy it would be to do!)?

All the best,

Lucy

Just a thought,

Lucy