[okfn-discuss] Fwd: <nettime> Aaron Swartz charged for downloading too many Journal articles from the Library: Please sign suport petition.

graham graham at theseamans.net
Thu Jul 21 13:45:01 BST 2011

It seems a little early to be jumping to the conclusion that this is
either civil disobedience for its own sake, or an attempt to
redistribute non-open-access papers, given his publishing history:

"In conjunction with Shireen Barday, he downloaded and analyzed 441,170
law review articles to determine the source of their funding; the
results were published in the Stanford Law Review. From 2010-11, he
researched these topics as a Fellow at the Harvard Ethics Center Lab on
Institutional Corruption." (http://demandprogress.org/aaron)

ie. he has a history of published research on topics which actually need
this kind of volume of papers as raw data.

Graham