[okfn-discuss] very early 'Live Participation Map' - who would like to experiment with it?

elf Pavlik perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org
Sun Nov 20 04:49:56 UTC 2011

Hello,

Today I during our little 'Hack Day' I started working on a map with live visualization of participation in work. So far I have it in a very early stage but if some of you could prepare to experiment with it, this would help me with moving it forward =)

As for today you can see it here: http://demo.hackers4peace.net/
Please don't get disappointment that you won't see anything first. Currently it keeps no state so you will see something once starting playing with it yourself, and more if others happen to change their statuses while you had the page open. It works by using XMPP so you will need an account. For those of you who happen to not have one yet you can shortly crate on here: http://www.jabber.org for client you can use cross platform http://pidgin.im (ubuntu has Empathy installed by default and some people use 'Adium' on mac) You can try using your gtalk but I don't see much adventage in making this world Google centric ;)

Looking at http://demo.hackers4peace.net in your browser try changing your status message in your XMPP client, at this moment you may also want in this XMPP client to configure your profile with avatar image and just your current city.

If you on monday will keep this page open for longer time, possibly you should see more people appearing as others add 'statusbot' to their contacts and play with their status messages. In next step I will add keeping state on the server so as soon as you open the page you will see everyone else online. Than I want to add tags like lets say #okf/ckan/482 which we can add to our status messages to tag what we work on.

Most likely not next week but at some point I would like to throw in a 'playback' future where we could see visualized who, where, have worked on what =)

But for now just seeing current state our distributed community working together should make interesting visualization...

Please consider taking 5-10min time to setup this XMPP (jabber) account, this way you may also have a taste of 'federated networking' where you control your basic data and let other services subscribe to it, as well as don't need to go to 50 places to update your avatar or current location ;) Besides that using client application of your choice, even including web based XMPP clients like http://jappix.com

If you still find this email confusing please wait a little for some simpler and more visual information about it ;)

Good night... finally...
ZZZzzz...
~ elf Pavlik ~