[okfn-discuss] IRC logs

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Feb 15 18:59:09 UTC 2012

For what its worth, the absence of public logging does not guarantee
privacy and, in my mind, shouldn't really be considered a feature. I
don't think it's fair to less knowledgeable users to provide a level
of assurance that when they use insecure protocols (IRC, SMTP, etc),
they're not being monitored.

Given the nature of the work of the OKFN and the fact that it
interacts with government very closely, it is extremely likely that
all communication is being monitored by intelligence agencies.

If private, real-time communication is desired, then Skype is the best bet.