[okfn-discuss] IRC logs

David Raznick kindly at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 22:24:08 UTC 2012

Hello All,

As was said on irc the reason for the logging started with the ckan
channel. As technical discussions happen on that channel it is useful
to read even if you were not around.  It then expanded to okfn and
openspending channels on request.

I checked out the terms and conditions on freenode and it seemed like
it was not a problem.  Having a name like okfn_logger, I thought,
would make this clear enough.

Personally I consider everything on irc public, but I can understand
that it can cause concerns.

I have done the following to alleviate some of them

* Stopped showing hostname on connection
* Added a robots.txt to disallow all bots.
* If you do okfn_logger: help, it now shows you where the log files are.
* We will most likely archive old logs as well.

I do not think making the logs private (i.e just for the okfn) is fair
or in the spirit of open knowledge.

Thanks

David