[okfn-discuss] IRC logs

David Raznick kindly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:42:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Nils Toedtmann
<nils.toedtmann at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 02/15/2012 11:24 PM, David Raznick wrote:
>> I checked out the terms and conditions on freenode and it seemed like
>> it was not a problem.
>
> http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml says:
>
>  <quote>If you're publishing logs on an ongoing basis, your channel
> topic should reflect that fact. Be sure to provide a way for users to
> make comments without logging, and get permission from the channel
> owners before you start. </quote>

I think I must have slightly misread that.  I thought it said it was
upto the channel owners entirely.

Anyway if you start your message with [off] then it does not log them.

>> Having a name like okfn_logger, I thought, would make this clear enough.
>
> Hmmm, that's like hidden smallprint. There are often 40+ clients on
> #okfn, i have to scroll down to find okfn_logger

There was not at the time and not on #ckan :)

>> Personally I consider everything on irc public, but I can understand
>> that it can cause concerns.
>>
>> I have done the following to alleviate some of them
>>
>> * Stopped showing hostname on connection
>> * Added a robots.txt to disallow all bots.
>
> Brilliant, thanks!
>

>> * If you do okfn_logger: help, it now shows you where the log files are.
>> * We will most likely archive old logs as well.
>>
>> I do not think making the logs private (i.e just for the okfn) is fair
>> or in the spirit of open knowledge.
>
> Let's strip the hostnames from the old logs too, and reflect the fact
> that the channels are logged in their topics. Maybe something like

That is a bit too much work for me for a one off unless someone who is
better at bash than me can come up with a very quick way to do it.  In
a few days I will archive any that have hostnames anyway.