[okfn-discuss] Data Party #4 Energy and Climate Data

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Wed Feb 29 11:05:51 UTC 2012

Dear list,

We would like to invite you to the next DataParty taking place this
evening.  Do you know somebody who has recently finished working on a
dataset with environmental data, which they would like to share? Please
forward this to people who might be interested to participate.

For details check out: http://econ.okfnpad.org/data-party
*
*
*## DataParty #4 Topic - Energy and Climate Data*

When: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 @ 6pm GMT / 6pm CET / 12pm EST
Where: Virtual on IRC and skype, IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/ - join
#okfnecon channel
What: Get together to add datasets to http://thedatahub.org/group/economics

*## DataParty Activities*

*1. I would like to share a dataset I have put together and make it
available and useful for others:*

If you have recently finished a dissertation or a paper and have compiled a
dataset of energy, climate or other environmental data (as well as in
combination with other economic indicators), you could share it with
others. This would support the work of students and researchers and may
create useful contacts with interested individuals who would find your
dataset on theDataHub.

After creating an account at the theDataHub (see Instructions bellow), add
a dataset and try to add as much relevant information as possible. If
possible, you should include:

* definitions of all variables in the dataset
* sources of the data series
* description of any data transformations you have done
* a link to the text if the work has already been published and/or an
abstract
* include a contact address where interested individuals can contact you
* follow the hints at http://help.thedatahub.org/
* tweet to @okfnecon with hashtag #DataHubAdd

*2. I would like to participate in the Energy and Climate Hackday on March
3rd and would like to explore what data is available:*

Prior to our Hackday we gather to explore the data we can use and prepare
for the challenges that will be presented.

There are two databases that we are challenged to look into and use for
building an app:

* http://data.worldbank.org/ - basically all WorldBank data
* http://sdwebx.worldbank.org/climateportal/ - the Climate Change Portal
containing also a lot of geo-spatial data, historical climate data, also
available in the API

Data mine and data wrangle to explore relationships, worth emphasising and
presenting with data visualisations. Data journalists, social scientists
and other researchers are invited to study the data together, look at ways
it has been presented so far and the relationships between key variables.

Questions to consider from the economic perspective:

* Has the carbon dioxide intensity of GDP changed over time? How is this
related to the evolution of oil prices and the GDP growth?
* How are natural resource rents (as % of GDP) related to the economic
performance of a country, e.g. development of industrial sectors (natural
resource curse)?
* What is the relationship between a country's institutions and its
environmental indicators? Can dictatorships be more effective in
implementing environmental regulation?

Other suggested questions or activities? You are welcome to contribute!

Best,

--
Velichka Dimitrova
Open Economics Working Group Coordinator