[Open-data-census] [okfn-discuss] A question about the Open Data census scoring system

Pierre Chrzanowski pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 13:39:30 BST 2013

Hi All, I already got some feedbacks about the new census results and most
of the time people are quite surprised with the total score and position of
France. I think the fact that France (whose most of datasets are openly
licensed) and China (whose datasets are not open) share almost the same
score is one of the main reasons.

I already expressed my concerns to Christian that the scoring system could
be misleading, or even irrelevant.
And regarding the first feedbacks I got, I must say I am now quite sure it
is misleading ;)

Then, I would suggest to :

1/ remove the actual score which does not reflect openess of datasets in
the countries

and

2/ create a scoring system that really value openess (i.e score 0 if
dataset not open)

That being said, I am also wondering if it would not be better not have a
score at all ...

What do you think ?

I found a discussion on the scoring calculation methodology and how it has
evolved here https://github.com/okfn/opendatacensus/issues/33?source=cc

*Pierre Chrzanowski*
*Open Knowledge Foundation France*

Mail: pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Mobile: +33 (0)7 855 71 292 | Skype: pierre.chrzanowski | Twitter:
@piezanowski <https://twitter.com/piezanowski>