[Open-data-census] Better definition of National Map

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 23:33:49 BST 2013

james, If you look at my link, i have geobase as the framework data set for
canada.  I think that will do.

It is the most open and versatile, maps are the easiest part of the census
for canada as there are many excellet openly available maps at multiple
scales/  There is also geogratis which contains many maps

I would not fuss over this one.

But now you are getting a sense at the nuances of the questions which is
good and can see my dilema.  The stuff I added was find on maps, the item i
have questions about is statistics, legal, electoral and finances, can you
focus on those please?

Please go to my first email on this topic where I sought help.

Cheers

Cheers

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM, James McKinney <james at opennorth.ca> wrote:

> Can we get a better definition of "National Map"? Currently:
>
> > High level map at a scale of 1:250,000 or better (1cm = 2.5km)
>
> In Canada, we have a lot of maps (CanImage, CanVec, CanMatrix, CanTopo,
> Toporama, Landsat, Ground Control Database, Canadian Digital Elevation
> Data, National Topographic Data Base, Canada Land Inventory).
>
> I figure it would be longer for me to describe all the kinds of maps that
> we have than for you to more accurately describe what kind of "national
> map" you are looking for. Here are some leading questions:
>
> - Would a simple cartographic boundary be sufficient (coastline plus
> country borders)?
>
> - If not, what should it show? Should the map be topographic (show
> elevation)? Should it show land cover (forests versus lakes, etc.)? Should
> it be satellite images?
>
> - What sort of data should it contain? For example, if the dataset is a
> set of images (Tiff), should they be georeferenced (GeoTiff)?
>
> - Does vector versus raster matter? Print-ready?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Tracey P. Lauriault
http://traceyplauriault.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/moving-to-ireland/