[open-data-manual] Paper on making personal data anonymous

Augusto Herrmann augusto.herrmann at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 04:40:55 UTC 2011

Hi, Tim and all!

Thanks for sharing this interesting report!

BTW, when I was researching some possible topics for the IV Consegi
conference in Brazil, I thought of data anonymization processes. The topic
is kind of advanced and it didn't make into the conference, but I found the
following papers and references:

* Papers by Gabriel Ghinita (National University of Singapor)
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=author%3A"Gabriel+Ghinita"

* Papers by Panos Kalnis (National University of Singapor)
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=author%3A"Panos+Kalnis"+anonymous

* Papers by Panagiotis Karras (University of Hong Kong)
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=author%3A
"Panagiotis+Karras"+anonymization

* Papers by Nikos Mamoulis (University of Hong Kong)
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=author%3A
"Nikos+Mamoulis"+anonymization

* t-Closeness: Privacy Beyond k-Anonymity and l-Diversity. Ninghui Li;
Tiancheng Li;   Venkatasubramanian, S.; ICDE 2007. IEEE 23rd International
Conference on Data Engineering, 2007.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=4221659

* Privacy-preserving data mining. Rakesh Agrawal and Ramakrishnan Srikant.
2000. In *Proceedings of the 2000 ACM SIGMOD international conference on
Management of data* (SIGMOD '00).
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=335438

* Data Privacy through Optimal k-Anonymization. Roberto J. Bayardo, Rakesh
Agrawal. 21st International Conference on Data Engineering, (ICDE'05), pp.
217-228, 2005.
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/ICDE.2005.42

* Papers by Sheng Zhong, Zhiqiang Yang and Rebecca Wright (Stevens Institute
of Technology)
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=author%3A
"Sheng+Zhong"+anonymization
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=author%3A
"Zhiqiang+Yang"+anonymization

Please keep in mind that I haven't yet read most of these papers. I just
thought this listing might be helpful.

Best regards,
Augusto Herrmann