[Open-Energy] Starting work on a European energy data mini-app!
jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Jan 19 19:27:22 GMT 2011
This is an email to get the ball rolling on a small web application on
European energy data which we will be developing in the next couple of
* What is it? A small, striking mini-app on the EU energy efficiency
targets based on data from Eurostat (and possibly other sources)
* When is it for? We will be aiming to have this finished in *two
weeks*: for the 2nd February 2011.
We will be using the following pad for notes/planning:
Here are a few of the kinds of questions we could look into:
* How do the renewable energy targets compare between different
member states? (Different countries have different targets: see
* How far are countries from meeting their targets? Are they on
course? (I.e. what is energy mix like now, and how has it changed in
* How does the energy mix compare between different countries
(percentage renewables, etc)?
* How does energy demand vary from country to country? (E.g. top
level breakdown into transport, etc.)
As they can be quite tricky to find, here are the renewable energy
targets for all EU27 member states:
If you know anyone else who is up for the challenge (journalists,
developers, designers, policy folks, researchers, etc), I would be
grateful if you could direct them to this list!
In particular we'd appreciate input on:
* finding / interpreting sources of data - Eurostat and beyond
* European energy policy in general, and on the energy efficiency
targets in particular
* how we can do interesting data visualisations on the basis of this data
* interesting stories / narratives we could tell using this data
All the best,
The Open Knowledge Foundation
More information about the open-energy