[open-government] Fwd: NZ Government Open Access and Licensing framework (NZGOAL) released by Minister of State Services

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Aug 6 08:04:23 UTC 2010

Fantastic news! ;-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Hi, all

Just letting you know that the Minister of State Services has just
released the New Zealand Government Open Access and Licensing
framework (NZGOAL).

NZGOAL was approved by Cabinet on 5 July 2010 as government guidance
for State Services agencies to follow when releasing copyright works
and non-copyright material for re-use by third parties. It
standardises the licensing of government copyright works for re-use
using Creative Commons licences and recommends the use of ‘no-known
rights’ statements for non-copyright material. It is widely recognised
that re-use of this material by individuals and organisations may have
significant creative and economic benefit for New Zealand.

NZGOAL does not apply to information or works containing personal or
other sensitive information, except for its guidance on anonymising
datasets which, once stripped of personal information, might be
licensed or released.

It advocates that State Services agencies should make their copyright
works which are or may be of interest or use to people available
online for re-use on the most open of licensing terms within NZGOAL –
the Creative Commons Attribution (BY) licence – unless a restriction
applies. Likewise they should provide public online access to
non-copyright material that is or may be of interest to people, using
a ‘no-known rights’ statement.

NZGOAL provides a series of open licensing and open access principles
for copyright works and non-copyright material. These principles
address, among other things, issues relating to open licensing, open
access, creativity, authenticity, non-discrimination, open format and
charging. It also guides agencies through the questions they need to
consider before releasing material for re-use.

The State Services Commission and the Department of Internal Affairs
would like to thank all of you ninjas who have helped us, challenged
us and expanded our appreciation of both the importance and potential
of open data.  NZGOAL is a work product that reflects the wisdom of
many a crowd.  It is testimony to the value in public contribution to
policy development.

We look forward to continuing working with you.

Go to www.e.govt.nz/policy/nzgoal to read NZGOAL (in multiple
formats), the Cabinet Minute (CAB Min (10) 24/5A), the Cabinet Paper,
the letter from the State Services Commissioner to Public Service
department Chief Executives alerting them to the release of NZGOAL,
and a series of Questions and Answers.

Please note that the PDF format is the authoritative version.

--
Keitha Booth
Senior Advisor, ICT
keitha.booth at ssc.govt.nz
www.ssc.govt.nz | newzealand.govt.nz

New Zealand's State Services Commission: Providing leadership to the
State Services so that government works better for New Zealanders

Caution: If you have received this message in error please notify the
sender immediately and then delete this message along with any
attachments. Please treat the contents of this message as private and
confidential.