[open-government] Web Foundation Announces New Project to Assess Potential of Creating Open Government Data Initiatives in Chile, Ghana and Turkey

Craig Heintzman craig at webfoundation.org
Wed Aug 11 13:22:18 UTC 2010

FYI - Steve Bratt, CEO of the World Wide Web Foundation (founded in 2009
by Tim Berners-Lee) just announced moving forward with a project to
assess the potential of creating open government data initiatives in
Chile, Ghana, and Turkey -- the first step of what we hope to be a
global initiative focusing on low- and middle-income countries. Link and
text copied below.
Craig

-------------------------
http://www.webfoundation.org/2010/08/potential-of-open-government-data-in-chile-ghana-and-turkey/

Within less than a year, the United Kingdom <http://data.gov.uk/> and
United States <http://data.gov/> have put hundreds of thousands of rich
datasets on the Web in machine readable formats. Thousands of
applications have been built --- the vast majority without taxpayers'
money --- by civic hackers to analyze, mash-up, and map these data.
Potential benefits of an Open Government Data (OGD) practice include new
services, new insights, increased citizen participation, new businesses
and better governance. Though other countries, provinces and cities are
exploring OGD, there has been little activity in low and middle income
countries (see map at left). Given the potential benefits and reasonable
costs, it is importance to assess how relevant an OGD initiative might
be in these countries as well.

The World Wide Web Foundation <http://www.webfoundation.org/>, with the
our partner Fundacion (CTIC) <http://www.fundacionctic.org/>, is taking
the first steps in this direction.   We are starting a new project to
conduct an assessment of the feasibility and potential of an OGD program
in three diverse countries
<http://www.webfoundation.org/projects/ogd/> --- Chile, Ghana and
Turkey.  The bottom line questions are:  Is the country ready to engage
in an OGD initiative?  If so, what support might they need?  If not, why
not, and what lesson can we take away from this assessment?

The project originated in response to a call for proposals from the
Transparency and Accountability Initiative:  a donor collaborative that
includes the Ford Foundation <http://www.fordfoundation.org/>, Hivos
<http://www.hivos.nl/>, theInternational Budget Partnership
<http://www.internationalbudget.org/>, the Omidyar Network
<http://www.omidyar.com/>, the Open Society Institute
<http://www.soros.org/>, the Revenue Watch Institute
<http://www.revenuewatch.org/>, and the William and Flora Hewlett
Foundation <http://www.hewlett.org/>. The funding for this project
originates from the Omidyar Network <http://www.omidyar.com/> and
the Open Society Institute <http://www.soros.org/>.  The project runs in
parallel to a similar feasibility study focusing on India, also support
by the Transparency and Accountability Initiative, and run by the Centre
for Internet and Society <http://www.cis-india.org/>.

Our work is starting with the development a new methodology for
assessing OGD readiness, based on our experience and an excellent paper
commissioned by the Transparency and Accountability Initiative and
written by Becky Hogge
<http://www.soros.org/initiatives/information/focus/communication/articles_publications/publications/open-data-study-20100519> from
earlier this year. We will then conduct research through visits to each
country, Web studies, and phone and email interviews to complete the
assessment by the end of October. As Tim Berners-Lee said in his
interview with Becky, "It has to start at the top, it has to start in
the middle and it has to start at the bottom." In other words, we must
talk with people from the highest levels of government, the public
administration officials who collect and care for data, and the people
who will leverage the data to create new applications. And we will do so
during this study. The results should be available before the end of
this year.

The Web Foundation is committed to supporting efforts around OGD in
individual countries, and as a emerging movement around the world. This
is evidenced by the work of Web Foundation Directors Tim Berners-Lee and
Nigel Shadbolt in the UK and US, the W3C Brazil Office in their country,
and W3C's eGovernment Interest Group, as well as work to built capacity
in the Caribbean
<http://www.webfoundation.org/2010/07/open-data-in-the-caribbean/>. If
you want to learn more, please contact me
<mailto:steve at webfoundation.org> or Stephane Boyera
<mailto:boyera at webfoundation.org>.

*About World Wide Web Foundation*

World Wide Web Foundation <http://www.webfoundation.org/> leads
transformative programs to advance the Web as a medium that empowers
people to bring about positive change. Created under a seed grant from
the John S and James L Knight Foundation
<http://www.knightfoundation.org/>, the Web Foundation brings together
business leaders, technology innovators, academia, government, NGOs,
experts, developers and end users to tackle challenges that, like the
Web, are global in scale. By funding education, outreach, research and
the next generation of Web technologies, Web Foundation strives to
enable all people to share knowledge, access services, conduct commerce,
participate in good governance and communicate in creative ways. Web
Foundation is a registered tax exempt, public charity in Switzerland and
the United States.

--
Craig Heintzman
World Wide Web Foundation