[open-government] Fwd: [Geodata] geodata.gov.gr (beta) is up and running on foss

Spiros Athanasiou spathan at imis.athena-innovation.gr
Mon Aug 16 08:07:09 UTC 2010

Good morning everyone,

I am Spiros Athanasiou (spathan) and coordinate the design and development of
geodata.gov.gr. Along with Prodromos Tsiavos (cc'ed) we have also prepared the
corresponding legislative framework (Law on "National Infrastructure for
Geospatial Information").

Just wanted to contribute a (somewhat) better translation of the text included
in the article. And of course apologize for not providing an English version of
geodata.gov.gr! This is in our todo list for the next few months.

Also, I would like to mention that:
1. geodata.gov.gr will be officially announced in the Thessaloniki International
Trade Fair this September
(http://www.helexpo.gr/default.aspx?lang=en-US&loc=1&page=1642).
2. We will be organizing a hackathon for public data (details will be announced
shortly).
3. Data from geodata.gov.gr are already used (i.e. re-used/purposed) from a
number of Greek public bodies (unfortunately not allowed to disclose them at
this point), saving the Greek Government so far roughly 6M euros in procurement
costs alone (productivity costs are greater). As the service grows in
size/quality and the number of participating public bodies increases, we expect
this number to be significantly greater.

Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and Prodromos.

Best Regards,

Spiros

PS: Translation follows:
Q: Plenty of geospatial data that interest me and are of great value are missing!
We know this fact and continuously try to incorporate as much as possible data
sets from the public administration. However, this task is more difficult than
it sounds. Until recently:
There were no records of the geospatial data owned from the public
administration. The Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climatic Change has
already covered this gap, so we are now in position to know who has what!
There was no clear legislative framework on how the public administration offers
its data. To be specific, certain public bodies marketed their data with
arbitrary licenses and costs, even to other public bodies! In other cases,
geospatial data were not available to third parties, other than the body that
originally procured the data. All these issues are amended by the law on
“National Infrastructure for Geospatial Information”, which has been prepared by
the Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change and will be signed by the
entire Cabinet.
Q: I see that in certain cases, geospatial data have errors!
Unfortunately, we cannot do anything about this fact, other than to highlight
existing problems that have accumulated to date. The public administration
procured and produced geospatial data of poor quality. The law on "National
Infrastructure for Geospatial Information" sets the necessary legislative
framework so that from now on, we do not make the same mistakes. However,
existing geospatial data, until they are corrected and replaced, will continue
to have problems.
Here we ask for your help. Whenever you find problems and errors in the data,
contact us. Soon you will be able through geodata.gov.gr to correct the data on
the map!

Athanasiou Spiros
Institute for the Management of Information Systems
"Athena" Research and Innovation Center in
Information, Communication and Knowledge Technologies
Tel:     (+30) 210 6990 522, (+30) 6977 54 78 99
e-mail:  spathan at imis.athena-innovation.gr