[open-government] Exchanging time for data? Any experiences?

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:12:26 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Currently in the Netherlands the 'open innovation festival' is taking place.
See http://openinnovationfestival.com. During this week in 20 cities civil
servants get treated to workshops and presentations on all kinds of topics
related to the digitalization of their work, and the different working
styles that can come with that. Open data is on the agenda in several of
those cities, and I gave a presentation in my home town yesterday.  (I have
been working with civil servants in my home town since the last edition on
releasing data, and am taking part together with those civil servants in the
Hackathon on Saturday http://www.opendataday.org/wiki/Enschede)

In my presentation I offered the city council a trade: I will spend 11 days
of my time next year working on open data for the city without money
changing hands, if they pay me in kind with the release of datasets to the
general public.

Has anybody else here experience in doing volunteer work for your local
government? How has that worked out?

best,

Ton
Interdependent Thoughts