[open-government] Open Data hackathon updates

David Eaves david at eaves.ca
Wed Dec 1 19:46:32 UTC 2010

Hello everyone interested in the Opendata hackathon.

1. I've blogged a couple of ideas (here
<http://eaves.ca/2010/12/01/international-open-data-hackathon-irc-channel-and-project-ideas/>
and here
<http://eaves.ca/2010/12/01/sunlight-foundation-and-the-international-opendata-hackathon/>)
that people can hack on this Saturday. Again, I think the localizing
other projects will be the easiest way to get some quick wins. (Hope to
move this to the wiki shortly)

2. I'm trying to find ways to encourage non-developers to participate by
describing ways they can contribute to projects (hope to move this to
the wiki shortly) (see blog posts above)

3. Created an IRC chat room: irc.oftc.net #odhd

Somethings I'm thinking about:

1) ensuring people demo the ideas that they are working on, or even
better, complete

2) Getting feedback after the day to learn:
a) did people have fun
b) were they able to raise awareness/build community
c) do they want to do it again
d) what could we do better/build on our successes

Okay, focused on Saturday 100% now... so excited.