[open-government] Open Data hackathon updates

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:00:32 UTC 2010

Hi David, all,

That sounds very good.
Here in our city (Enschede, Netherlands), the civil servants we have been
working with for the local event have ensured the release of a number of
data sets for the event, from geo stuff like house numbers, neighbourhoods
and districts, to polling stations, mail box locations, bus stops,
businesses and their activities, and soil quality/pollution. So the event is
triggering the first wave of data sets here, which I think is already a good
result. To help stimulate that, I have offered the city council to spend a
number of days of my time, in exchange for more data sets being opened up.
There's a good chance they will take me up on the offer.

We here in Enschede don't think we will get a lot done this Saturday, and we
will only have a handful of people most likely. But it's a promising start
bringing local people interested in this together for the first time, and we
will do on-line presentations of whatever we do build. We already have set
up a video exchange with the team in Helsinki Finland to talk about results
at the end of the day.

Will go through your ideas, so we maybe can jumpstart some of the activities
on Saturday.

best,
Ton

Interdependent Thoughts