[open-government] Introductions

Content Research contentissimo at chello.at
Sat May 29 21:47:15 BST 2010

Dear Brian,

may I deepen your valuable comments:

my plea for a very careful, structured and step-by-step
implementation of open data is based on the following facts.

1. None of the past eGovernment action plans and architectures
in Europe took into account the open data policy.
Open data fundamentally addresses the architecture and
set-up of statutory registers, THE key backbone of eGov.
(even the ambitious NO-census-any-more project of Austria
took into account the benefit of the open data approach).

And the NPM model made it more difficult to implement open data.
Often it lead to financially self-sustaining (autark) public dataholders.

********************

2. All major 20-30 public data holders in a country are ruled by
a specific legislation including a specific financial and pricing model.
Each Acts requires 3-5 years minimum to amend it.
Horrendous costs of lobbying. Even if the public dataholders agrees,
most ministries of finance will stop the amendment.

*********************

3. I would not refer that much to the US as success story.
I interviewed there many re-users on State and local level.
On these 2 levels still huge barriers exist and copyright was
often NOT waived. (although the application procedure is more
swift and easier than in Europe).

Open data leads often to junk public data. nobody cares any
more on that. No budget - no responsibility - no updates.
Do we share that vision?

I would not rely on any American map. The US airforce
bombed in 2000 the wrong embassy in Belgrade.
They simply forgot to update their map.

*************************

Let me explain the current movement with following picture:

Image that the NASA would have asked Kennedy in 1962
to advise them HOW to fly to the moon. -
Do you know any Government which has expertise to define
the hundreds of steps how to transpose open data policy? NO.

My German colleagues commissioned several studies in the
past 5 years just to address ONE relationship:
Spatial information and data protection legislation.
And they failed since their approach was done de lege lata
and not de lege ferenda.  - 5 years and no substantial progress.

Yes, open data might be easy to transpose in African countries
where hardly any legal legacy exists (A) or nobody
cares about the conflicts of interests, values and legislation (B).

Open data policy should be seen as the flight to the moon.
Hundreds of steps have to defined and be ordered in the right
sequence. Remember the videos between 1963 and 1969
and how patchy their efforts were.

If we want to fly to the moon, WE have to define precisely the
order and the sequence. No Government will go into that tricky business.
Simply remember the legislative and judiciary mass of your
colleagues in France and Germany.

Governments fear to open the box of the Pandora.
We have to tell them how to structure that process and order the sequence.

kind regards,

Gerhard