[open-government] Defining Open Government Data?

Roy Peled roypeled at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 12:59:10 BST 2010

and my 2 cents for what they're worth -

1. I think "machine readable" today is not too high a demand or too
complicated a definition. It can be easily explained to any reasonable
official that works with a computer. In Israel like in France it was claimed
that even if the authority holds information in (e.g) XLS file but publishes
it in (e.g) PDF, we cannot demand the XLS. We challenged this in court, and
won, or more accurately brought them to change their mind before the ruling.
I know this is easier to achieve in a common law counrty than in the
continent, but the basic idea Im sure can be explained to any
administration, threats of legal proceedings set aside.

2. I think the point of guidance/handbooks, while mentioned in the
correspondence above, needs to be given much more thought and elaboration.
If it is, at the end of the day, the citizenry we hope will make use of the
information, it has to come with relevant guidance, and authorities need to
learn to create such guides when the information is gathered and created,
rather than upon inquiries followin publication of data.

3. This relates to point 2 - I think one must include reference to the
clarity of the information. For instance, an XLS file with column titles
that are coded in a way the average john doe cannot decipher is useless.

I agree the approach to the whole process should be flexible. Rather than
setting hard criteria which might alienate those that stand little chance to
meet it, it should offer guidance and support for those officials wishing to
learn what open data requires from them, making it can be achieved on
different levels.

Best,

Roy Peled
Movement for Freedom of Information, Israel